Proverbs 6:16-19 – These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
From the earliest memories I have comes the remembrance of being told about the love of God. John 3:16 & 17 are among the first verses of Scripture I learned by heart. I heard about the love of God from the pulpit, in my Sunday school classes, at home from my parents, in my community from our neighbors, and even as school from our teachers and principle. Yes, I heard about the love of God from everywhere. I can NEVER say that I was not taught about the love of God.
But in all those years, no one ever taught me about the hate of God. Even when I ultimately read about in the Scriptures, there was no one who seemed desirous, or even willing, to teach me about the hate of God. Yet, upon reading it for the first time as a young adult in early ministry, there it was, clearly printed on the pages of God’s Word. Take a moment to read our Text for Today once again. “These…doth the Lord hate: yea, seven…an abomination unto Him.” Allow those words to sink in for a time. If you find yourself being shaken by these words, don’t think it strange. They shook me when I first read them for what they say. And I know from many conversations that they shook others the first time they really gave heed to them. And I can likewise tell you that they still shake me. Let’s consider them with an understanding mind.
- a proud look – God despises arrogance in appearance and attitude
- a lying tongue – God despises anything less than truth giving instruction
- hands that shed innocent blood – God despises anything that steals life (the life of the flesh is in the blood)
- a heart that devises wicked imaginations – a heart that does not control thoughts allows twisted thinking that corrupts, deceives, and distracts through uncontrolled thinking
- feet that are swift in running to mischief – that which is excited, even inspired by trouble and misery to move quickly to evil
- a false witness that speaks lies – this is speaking lies that destroy the good testimony and smear the witness of others
These six things, the Lord hates. But there is a seventh. The six we’ve already listed are things. But the seventh and final element in this listing is NOT a thing, but a person. Look closely, dear reader, and allow this truth to settle deeply in your heart. The seventh is “he that soweth discord among brethren.” God so hates strife that it positions Him to hate the sower of strife. Keep yourself safe.
Manna for Today – Proverbs 6; 1 John 5:3; John 14:15-17; John 3:16-17; 1 John 4:8-16; 2 Timothy 2:24-26