Discovering the specific anointing you have received is a multi-faceted journey..
Uke 4:18-19 – The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Consider the following examples of discovery of anointing.
- God spoke directly to Noah. It took him 120 years to finish what he was anointed to do.
- Joshua followed Moses as primary leader of Israel, a position into which Joshua grew during 40 years of faithfully following Moses.
- Elisha was given an anointing by being smote with Elijah’s mantle, but it took him seven years to arrive at the point where he could freely walk in it.
- Jesus was anointed from Mary’s womb, hence being called the “Christ (anointed) child.” Yet He was 30-years old before doing His first miracle. There was a time of learning and growth, even for the only begotten Son of God
- Jesus chose twelve disciples; that was their anointing. They walked with Him for two to two and one half years, growing through graduated teaching and modeled service, finally being fully sent on the day of Pentecost after the resurrection of Jesus.
- Paul was wondrously converted on the road to Damascus. Yet it was about 17 years before he entered fully into the ministry Jesus intended for him, that of the apostle.
Do you see it? None of these examples, not even Jesus, stepped fully into their intended ministry immediately upon receiving the anointing for that ministry. And in every case, the one who was anointed required time to grow in wisdom, understanding, insights, and capacity for the work to which they were called. Likewise, in every case, the one who was anointed was connected to one or more people who knowingly or unknowingly invested into their lives preparing them for the work at hand. And in each case, the time lapse from the point of anointing to the point of full release in ministry depended upon the relationship they had with those who taught, influenced, and modeled that which they were to do, along with their own yieldedness to the anointing that was in them, teaching them what man could not.
Elisha had a great model in Elijah, and it was about seven years before he was released fully into his ministry. Joshua had 40 years with Moses, but he was being groomed for a position only one man had ever held to that point in time – to be the deliverer of Israel. And what of Jesus? Why would it take 30 years to be released to His Messianic work? Well, think of this. Had there ever before been a Messiah? Had there ever been anyone who walked in the levels of power, might, authority, and revelation in which Jesus walked? Also, once Jesus was released, He accomplished in just three and one half years all He was to do in His earthly ministry. And one more thing. Who was available to teach Jesus how to be Messiah, Savior, and Lord? For that level of ministry, ONLY the ANOINTING could teach Him.
Manna for Today – 1 John 2:20-27; Psalm 23; Isaiah 10:27; Exodus 30:22-38