What does the Scripture say to us?
Seed of Abraham – Part 4
Genesis 17:7 – And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
In our Text for Today, we read that God established His covenant between Himself and Abraham, and He included the “seed” of Abraham in every aspect of that covenant. Furthermore, He said it is “an everlasting covenant.” Knowing that God’s covenant is “everlasting,” and that it is fully extended to “Abraham’s seed,” the believer has only one true alternative in life. It is the Word of God. If God said it, that settles it. There is no other way. If the child of God is to walk in victory in this life, if the child of God is to live in health in this life, if the child of God is to live fully and abundantly provisioned (rich) in this life, there is but one choice. It is the Word of God.
As the seed of Abraham, you have full access to every element of covenant God established with Abraham. That can be seen, perhaps as clearly as possible, in 3 John 2. This verse, in the New Testament, is a clear confirmation to what God made available to Abraham from the moment He established His covenant with him. in Genesis 17:1-10, we see God’s commitments in that covenant. God made promises in this covenant to Sarah, too, but let us look only at what He committed to Abraham and his seed forever.
- A change in name – Abram became Abraham; you and I were formerly known as sinners, now we are known as the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ
- To make Abraham exceeding fruitful – we have an added element of that that Old Testament saints could not produce, that being the fruit of the reborn, recreated human spirit
- To make nations of Abraham – as the seed of Abraham, we still hold that promise
- To bring kings out of Abraham – as the seed of Abraham, men and women of great power should rise from you, too
- The covenant will be with Abraham and his seed – if you belong to Christ, you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise
- The covenant will be throughout all the generations of Abraham’s seed – if you belong to Christ, you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise
- The covenant will be FOREVER – it is still in effect at this very moment for you and me
- To give him land – see the following …
- Great possessions
- Controlling power
- OBEDIENCE ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED – this is the love walk fulfilled in which faith works at its highest level
- Circumcision required – for Abraham, it was the circumcision of the flesh; for us, it is the circumcision of the heart, the new birth
All this still belongs to all the seed of Abraham today. Lay hold it by faith NOW! Selah!
Manna for Today – Genesis 17; Galatians 3:13-29; Hebrews 1:3; Joshua 1:6-9; 3 John 2