Righteousness is much more than a position.
Acts 24:25 – And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.
Paul “reasoned of righteousness” with Felix. Let’s take some time today to give ourselves to reasoning of righteousness, and go deeper into seeing the bigger picture.
- Righteousness – the Position – this seems to be the most common thought when the word righteousness is used – it is a position, or place, of right-standing with the Lord
- Righteousness – the Apparel – the Scriptures are replete with righteousness being used as clothing for the servant of the Lord, especially with terms like “robe of righteousness” commands like “put on righteousness”
- Righteousness – the Work – Isaiah tells us that the “work of righteousness shall be peace”
- Righteousness – the Effect – Isaiah also tells us that the “effect of righteousness” is quietness and assurance
- Righteousness – the Person – Jesus has been made to be our righteousness, and He became sin so we could be made the righteousness of God in Him
- Righteousness – the Speech – Paul asserts in Romans 10 that the righteousness of God which is of faith “speaks” in a certain manner, and that manner is always speaking that which the Word of God has declared
- Righteousness – the Armor – our breastplate in God’s armor He has given us to wear as soldiers of the Lord is the breastplate of righteousness
With more than 300 uses of the word righteousness in the Scriptures, you can be assured that there are many more uses, purposes, and functions of righteousness than we have room to mention here. Righteousness is an incredibly powerful force in the kingdom of God. It will serve the believer well to recognize as many of those uses, purposes, and functions of righteousness as he possibly can. And this is especially true when a person who is witnessing for the Lord Jesus Christ recognizes how they apply to himself as a witness. While there are clearly many functions and identifying tags of righteousness, allow me to mention one more.
Righteousness – the Upholder – time and again throughout the Scriptures we are strengthened and encouraged that our God will protect, uphold, and undergird with His righteousness those who are righteous before Him. And with that, please allow me to charge you once again with the statement, “If God said it, that settles it.” Never forget, the Scriptures plainly declare that YOU ARE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD IN JESUS CHRIST. Believe it, embrace it, stand on it, and expect God to uphold you in it. He has said He would.
Manna for Today – Acts 24:22-27; Isaiah 1:18-20; 1 Corinthians 1:10, 21, & 30; 2 Corinthians 5:17-21; Isaiah 32:17; Romans 10:6-17